The Socionext SC123x series is an all-in-one 24GHz radio-controlled FMCW (frequency-modulated continuous-wave) radar sensor featuring a wide detection area, compact form factor, and ultra-low power operation. The device is ideal for advanced smart home applications, including security cameras, air quality monitors, video doorbells, lighting, video conference systems, dashcams, appliances, home electronics, and more.
The highly integrated 24GHz sensor perceives entry motion and adds distance detection without the need for external backend processing. These features make it an optimal replacement for PIR sensors.
Key features of the SC123x series
- Compact 9 x 9 x 1 mm footprint
- Wide detection area (30 feet range with a 120-degree field of view)
- 2D angle detection when paired with an MCU
- Ultra-low 0.5mW average power consumption optimized for battery operation
- Ease of implementation (no backend processing required)
- Available design kits for rapid development
Example video doorbell application
Unlike traditional sensing technologies, RADAR technology offers many specific benefits for locating objects and sounds while delivering data rapidly for processing. Take the increasingly popular video doorbell devices, which notify users when an object or person enters a specific area in front of their home. The SC123x series 24GHz radar sensor can monitor a physical threshold with a range of thirty feet and a 120-degree radius. When a person or object enters the specified range, the sensor automatically tracks distance and movement in real-time, triggering an alert to the homeowner and activating video recording. The device supports advanced features such as image recognition and data analysis.
Socionext 24GHz RADAR sensor design kits now available
Socionext offers a portfolio of 24 GHz radar sensors that detect motion, the direction of motion, speed, angle, and position of a target. We make it easy for you to get started incorporating our sensor technology with available design kits. Contact us for more information.
24GHz Sensor Evaluation Kit
- Evaluation kit hardware with USB cable (A to micro-B)
- Sensor library/evaluation software (GUI)
- Related documents
- Evaluation software (GUI) operation manual
- Specification of control API
- Application note (sensor setting parameters/sample C source for API)
More RADAR sensor information from Socionext
Be sure to check out our RADAR sensor-related demonstration video and product briefs below.
Socionext RF CMOS Sensor Features & Capabilities Demo Video
Socionext RADAR Sensor Product Briefs
Socionext makes it easy for you to get started incorporating our sensor technology with available design kits. Contact us for more information.
- Advantages of RADAR sensors versus passive infrared radar (PIR)
- The future of IoT with RADAR sensing technology
- Socionext’s lineup of 24GHz and 60GHz sensors
- Our software solution roadmap
Learn more about Socionext’s 24GHz & 60GHz RADAR sensor technology
Socionext is a leading supplier of standard and customizable SoC solutions for automotive, consumer, and industrial markets. We provide our customers with quality semiconductor products based on extensive and differentiated IPs, proven design methodologies, state-of-the-art implementation expertise, and full support.