Socionext, a leading provider of RF CMOS Sensors, offers a new series of single-chip 24GHz and 60GHz Electromagnetic Wave Sensors with a variable-frequency transmitter and an ultra-high sensitivity radio wave receiver.
24GHz Electromagnetic Wave Sensor
- Small size (9mm X 9mm X 1mm)
- Sensing modes: FMCW
- Low power: 0.5mW average
- Multiple antennas (both Tx and Rx) integrated inside the package
- High volume, mass production using standard CMOS semiconductor processing
- Impervious to obstructed view, such as darkness, smoke, fog, dirt over lens.
- Ability to penetrate materials such as glass, wood, paint, plastic and other non-metallic materials
- Draws less power than optical visual camera systems
- Can detect any moving object, as compared to PIR which is dependent on target’s temperature profile
- Output a variety of data about the moving object, not possible with other sensors
The Socionext Advantages
- Expert radio frequency (RF) know-how
- Extensive analog and RF antenna design experience
- Getting customers up-to-speed on measuring and making sense of the sensor data
- Ability to provide proof-of-concept and incorporating sensor capabilities into customers' overall system designs to enable smart features
- Availability of evaluation kits
- Smart home
- Robotics and Automotive
60GHz Electromagnetic Wave Sensor
The new ultra-compact, low-power SC1220 Series radio wave ranging sensors utilizes 60GHz frequency band and detects individual’s location and movement with very high accuracy and precision.
The SC1220 series offers high-precision sensing using a 7GHz (57 ~ 64 GHz) bandwidth allows for the detection of a person’s location and very minute movements. These capabilities make them ideal for advanced applications such as operating appliances using hand gestures. Additionally, since radar sensors are not susceptible to environmental conditions such as temperature and light fluctuations, they can be used in smart home devices and a variety of applications.
- Socionext was the first company worldwide to develop 60GHz radar sensor in a small package of only 7mm X 7mm X 0.83mm with very low power consumption of 1~2.5mW.
- Highly-integrated and easy-to-use devices that incorporate antenna, wireless circuit, A/D converter, FIFO memory, SPI interface and intelligent power control sequencer for flexible duty cycle control
- Does not require advanced knowledge by users in handling high-frequency devices
The most suitable sensor for detecting three-dimensional motions. It comes with a built-in antenna of 2 transmission systems and 2x2 reception array, and can detect azimuth, elevation angle, speed and distance. In addition to presence detection, the device can sense the position of a person’s hands in a three-dimensional space, which is ideal for operations requiring gestures.
The SC1221AR3 specializes in high-precision detection of two-dimensional movements, and is capable of detecting multiple moving objects in a specific area.
This sensor is ideal for two-dimensional motion detection. It incorporates a 1x4 linear array receiver antenna to detect azimuth, speed and distance of multiple moving objects. Although the angle detection is only available in the azimuth direction, it is two times more precise than SC1220AT2, which is suitable for detecting a person entering a specific area.